Another birthday but we stop counting after 60. My daughters buy me a subscription ot a motorbike magazine; they grew up OK after all. Spring almost here, motorbike is fuelled up and ready.
Christmas seems long ago and the grey days of February loom ahead...
Great SEDA conference on creativity on educational development. The last event of the 20th Birthday celebrations. We sang Happy Birthday at the conference dinner and ate birthday cakes. Last week went to a SACWG meeting in Liverpool LJMU - a great workshop on first year progression and regulations.
Experience and qualifications - I am an experienced and well qualified academic developer in higher education. For over 30 years I have researched, taught and supervised at every level in universities, as a biologist, an adult educator, and a learning technologist. For the last 15 years I have been an academic developer, providing academic staff development, leading an educational development unit, and writing or contributing to institutional regulations, policy and strategy for teaching, assessing and learning. My qualifications include a BSc and PhD (Manchester), a PG Cert Ed (Wolverhampton), and an MSc in IT and Learning (Lancaster). I am a National Teaching Fellow, a Fellow of the HE Academy, and a Senior Fellow of my professional body SEDA, the Staff and Educational Development Association.
My interests are:
- Learning technology - I have taught with computer technologies for 30 years. I wrote the 2007 SEDA publication e-Teaching. I founded and led for ten years a postgraduate certificate, Teaching and Learning with Technology. I led the strategic development of an institutional virtual learning environment. I have designed and taught blended and wholly online courses. I have promoted, and trained academics on, classroom technologies such as interactive whiteboards and clickers. I invented and sell Communicubes.
- Assessment and feedback - I was the Project Manager of a one-year, JISC-funded project in 2010-11, on institution-wide change in assessment and feedback processes using technology. Here is the blog for Project STAF: Technology supporting assessment and feedback.
- Teaching excellence - I won a National Teaching Fellowship in 2008. I founded a development programme for institutional nominees and aspiring nominees; in four years of my managing the nominations, Keele won four NTFs. I also organised institutional teaching excellence awards, teaching innovation project funding, and institutional teaching innovation symposia.
- Professional development and programme accreditation - I chair the SEDA professional development framework committee, which accredits many programmes in the UK and overseas; I am a SEDA recogniser of such programmes and I train other recognisers. I founded and led the Keele University MA in Learning and Teaching in HE, which included the HEA-accredited postgraduate certificate for new academics.
- Curriculum development - I am currently the Academic Lead on Keele's institution-wide curriculum development project, involving graduate attributes, employability, sustainability and international perspective. I lead the group writing the institution's learning, teaching and assessment strategy.
- Plagiarism - I wrote Keele University's plagiarism regulation and its policy on the use of Turnitin originality reporting. I provided academic professional development about student writing and plagiarism. I have made presentations at conferences.
- External examining - I am an external examiner. I lead the online, SEDA-accredited, course Professional Development in External Examining. I am a member of the QAA Advisory Group revising the Code of Practice on External Examining. I have provided external examiner induction.
- Action research and evaluation - I have taught a postgraduate action research course and have supervised many academic staff researching their practice, often for a postgraduate award. I have been, and still am, an evaluator or critical friend of teaching innovation projects.
- Sustainability - I am a member of the Keele Green Curriculum team, that is a member of the Green Academy in 2011. I am a member of the Keele project group awarded £200 000 over three years from the national NTFS fund, for the project “Hybrid PBL; a scalable approach to sustainability education”.
- International consultancy - I have provided academic consultancy on curriculum development, and academic professional development workshops, in Canada, Malaysia, Sri Lanka and Saudi Arabia.
- I have also led or collaborated on other educational initiatives such as student personal development planning, employability skills, and online and classroom learning technology .
This web site contains some of my work that is free to use under a Creative Commons licence (see below). On this site:
- Some of my documents and some of my slides and other workshop materials
- e-Teaching: engaging students
through technology 2007 (SEDA Paper
- I invented CommuniCubes, the
economical way to support individual student participation and feedback in
face-to-face teaching with small and large groups. There are pictures on my Flickr site in the folder Keele University and CommuniCubes. Copyright on Communicubes is NOT Creative Commons; all rights are reserved.
- Personal stuff: My favourite toy; my wife's brother, Rob Pohl, In Memoriam; my Flickr photos; and archives of some of my older web sites and of possible historical interest (at least to me).
Web presence: You won't find me on Facebook, I only use that for the family. I am on LinkedIn but please don't endorse me and create more spam email. I don't tweet so don't follow me on Twitter.